Monday, November 29, 2010

The Windy City

I've been to Chicago countless times in my life, and every time I visit, I'm reminded how much I love the windy city. This particular trip was for work. We were launching the Starbucks holiday campaign and hosted a pop up store right on Michigan avenue - serving coffee to all of those who passed by. The day started with a wake-up call of 3:30 a.m. (yikes!) and went until the sun went down. It was super cold, but luckily my dad bought me a serious down coat just to make it through my day of work in the Chicago cold - thanks Dad! The event was successful and I got to spend time getting to know my Edelman colleague from Portland - we ended up having a great time (especially when we dined out at a quaint Chicago-style Italian eatery)!

But, the best part was staying at the historic hotel, The Drake. I never really realized how much history was at this hotel -- so many famous people have stayed there, Princess Diana, Jack Nicholson. Scenes from one of my favorite movies My Best Friends Wedding were also filmed at the hotel. To my surprise, when I checked-in, I was upgraded to a room bigger than my house. The room had floor to ceiling windows overlooking Lake Michigan, it was gorgeous.

And just to note, I do love Chicago, but only for a few days. I've been there in the cold winter months and there is no way I'd every survive living there. Way to cold! But if I get the chance to visit again, I'll be there in a heart beat.

The Edelman team (Jill, Casey, Kevin & Me) at the Starbucks photo booth. See my big coat:)

The chandelier in my hotel room!

The living room in my hotel room - if only I wasn't traveling alone. There was a full kitchen, huge bedroom and bathroom. I liked that they maintained the historic look of the hotel.

Gorgeous view of Lake Michigan from my hotel windows. I could see Oprah's house :)

Starbucks pop up store.

Inside of the pop up store.

Right on Michigan Avenue. Edelman's Headquarters is around the corner.

No comments: